Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Happy 2019! Happy Awakening!


I'm so happy it's 2019!  Are you?  

Which leads to my discussion topic:

Awakening - an act or moment of becoming suddenly aware of something.

Many people described an awakening experience as the most significant moment of their lives, reporting a major change in their perspective on life, and in their values. In  2017 The Journal of Transpersonal Psychology study of 90 awakening experiences, the most significant after-effect was a greater sense of trust, confidence, and optimism.

After the ups and downs of 2017 and 2018, in business,  politically, emotionally and spiritually,  I have definitely experienced an "awakening" and I welcome this after-effect!

Maybe you are asking yourself why I selected this topic for my current blog. At the end of 2018,  it suddenly became crystal clear to me that I have not been accountable for giving my business my utmost dedication and respect, largely because of a lack of trust in the process, a lack of confidence in myself and increased pessimism about my success.  I recently attended a Jewelry Brand Makeover Bootcamp by Flourish and Thrive Academy and Tracy Matthews, the co-founder,  shared a lot of information about building your brand that customers love, gaining consistent sales and serious buzz.  This made me realize that I had not made as much effort to do those things as I should have done and it was time to have Clarity about myself and my intention and create more demand for my designs, while maintaining free time for myself.  

As a result of this "awakening" I've decided to share with my followers my journey to understanding my reason for running a jewelry design business and what I wanted to create long term.

My journey began in 1997, when I took my first jewelry making lesson and I knew instantly that I wanted to make jewelry, forever.  That led to more professional jewelry study, participation in craft shows, owning a jewelry gallery and bead shop, and eventually, selling my jewelry online.  During that time I got caught up in the chaos, not having a really clear plan.   I made a lot of mistakes, over-purchased materials and inventory I never used, took advice from the wrong people and worked way too much for too little.  I also tried to sell to everyone.  My business grew, but I was burned out, unhappy and not making as much jewelry that I liked to make, spending too much time watching the bottom line and not enough time enjoying my life.  So, I closed my store and began making jewelry in my home studio, selling in local shops and online, thinking that was the answer to my unhappiness.  

In 2018, I recognized that my vision had been lost along the way.  It was not enough to have revenue goals, I needed to focus on my core values and the platform of my brand.  I needed to stop selling to everyone and focus on the clients that are the cornerstone of my brand.  That was the beginning of the "awakening" process.

Attending the workshop helped me to clarify my branding and intentions:  I began to rethink my business and everything changed.   I now know who I am, what I do and why I do it.

My brand:

"I design treasured and inspiring statement jewelry for stylish women and men who prefer artisan made jewelry over mass manufactured pieces. Inspired by meaningful moments and wonders of our natural world, my work celebrates nature and embraces the personality of my clients. My works are made of lasting and beautiful materials, precious metals mixed with gemstones to create a raw and refined harmony. Nature influences who I am, how I see the world and how I run my business, including the use of recycled metals and responsible suppliers. I believe that jewelry is much more than simple adornment, it is essential for our connection to the natural beauty around us which is part of our humanity."

I am now more optimistic, have more confidence in myself and trust that my business will continue to thrive and flourish, allowing me to make a good living and still have time for myself and my family.  I have also established a goal to donate 5% of my net profit to environmental organizations in an effort to do my part to improve the world we live in.  For information about these endeavors you can read my Charitable Giving page in my Etsy store.

If you are a jewelry maker or entrepreneur who needs clarity about your branding or you feel overwhelmed, have hit a wall  or have lost confidence in yourself reach out for help!

Check out the sources I've provided links for in this blog, other online and local sources,  and don't give up!

By the way, I chose to write this now because I celebrate my 70th Birthday today!  It's never too late to "awaken".  Peace, love and buy jewelry!

Anita

Links:  After Effects of Awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments appropriate for all ages. No foul language, or third party advertising will be accepted. You will be deleted from the blog and blocked from posting in the future.