Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

New Instructor

Please meet our newest instructor:

Eliza Huskey
Jewelry designer, teacher


I have always been "crafty" since as far back as I can remember. My mother, Harriet, inspired me with her paintings and carpentry to "create" at an early age. And so I did using various items available to me in our home. One of my first creations was a coke bottle doll I fashioned with an old glass coca-cola bottle, Kleenex and magic markers. My mother's quiet marvel over my handcrafted doll gave me such satisfaction to to this day I look forward to that same feeling every time I unveil a new creation.

My fascination and love for beads happened around age seven when I made my first necklace, a simple string-a-bead type of necklace for my cabbage patch doll, Bonnie. I used a gold thread string and those little white single letter beads to string her name closing it with a screw clasp. A simple yet meaningful start to my life as a beader.

I started getting serious about beading while finishing college in Mobile, Alabama during the early 2000's. I lived near a small bead shop in mid-town named Knot Just Beads where I learned a great many skills from a truly gifted designer, Melody MacDuffee, who showed me how to wire wrap for the first time. Thanks Melody!

I began teaching seed bead and wire wrapping classes in 2003 at Knot Just Beads. In addition to Ogalalla Butterfly, my favorite seed bead pattern, I taught my own original wire design known as the Easy Loop Wire Necklace. I eventually went on to teach in Gulfport, Mississippi and New Orleans, Louisiana.

Aside from teaching, I make and sell jewelry in local boutiques, art galleries and the Internet.

Eliza Huskey lives with her husband and their son in Gulf Shores, Alabama. For many years she has created bead jewelry in her spare time. In recent years she has dedicated herself full-time to selling her jewelry via the Internet and renewing her passion to teach and inspire others.
 
We look forward to Eliza teaching future classes in our store. New class options will be posted at the store and on the blog site. Also remember to check the interactive calendar at the bottom of this page for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments appropriate for all ages. No foul language, or third party advertising will be accepted. You will be deleted from the blog and blocked from posting in the future.